Saturday, May 8, 2010

School and Sickness

Marina, California, September 1980:

Early this month I became very sick and spent the next 12 days in bed - and Tom took total care for me and the children. I had every affliction imaginable from sore throat to congestion, to cough, to fever & diahrrea, to total insanity! I finally went to the doctor - It was diagnosed as a cold that went into secondary bronchitis. The doctor gave me an antibiotic, and finally after 3 threeks I was beginning to get some strength back. I literally slept for 2 solid weeks

In the meantime, the children started school. Their schedules were enough to make anyone go insane: Tim 8:30 - 2:45, Amy 10:00 - 3:00, Billy 12:10 - 3:10.

Except on short days which were every Thursday and sometimes more often, then Tim 8:30 - 2:05, Amy 9:15 - 2:05, Billy 12:10 - 3:10. If I tried to get out to run any errands, I had to dash right back to send someone off or welcome someone home. It was a challenge ... A good kind of crazy.

Speaking of the children - they were really helpful when I was sick. One Sunday Tom was working, and the children announced that I was not allowed out of bed until dinner was ready. Then, they went in the kitchen and made and cooked hamburgers. It was a special moment for me to have them be so independent and helpful in a time when I really needed it.

To my children on this Mother's Day, May 9, 2010: I am so grateful to be your mother! Heavenly Father really blessed me with each of you. Thank you for the wonderful journey as your mother. I cherish our time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment