Sunday, December 13, 2009

Disneyland Drama

Disneyland, about 1984:

It's every child's dream to go to Disneyland and have a grand adventure on all the rides, right? Of course, it's right. What child does not want this experience?

Imagine my surprise when, after much anticipation and preparation, we finally went to Disneyland, got in line for our first ride, and Sarah refused to ride! So, I thought, okay, I can deal with this, it's just this one ride. BUT, ride after ride, she would not budge! I had to sit out each ride with her and wait on a bench, while the rest of the family went on each ride.

When pressed, Sarah complained the ship would sink, the train would crash, the People Mover would fall off the elevated track. Didn't I know? She was afraid of heights!

How had I missed this? How did it happen? Had she been watching a scary movie?

What should we do to help her, to FIX her? We didn't have any answers. We only knew that after spending a whole day with her passing on EVERY ride, we'd had enough. We decided to ride the People Mover, and it was so tame, so harmless, that we insisted Sarah participate. We did not allow for any more drama. It was time.

We got in the line with Sarah crying. She was still crying as we boarded the ride, and cried through the whole ride, but we did it. The ride did not sink, or crash, or fall off the track. She did not die. In fact, she was fine after that!

Was this the magic moment that created an everlasting love for the Magic Kingdom and everything Disney? I'll never know. I will take full responsibility, however. It's all my fault!

No comments:

Post a Comment