Monday, December 7, 2009

Mission to Mars on Disney's Space Shuttle

Disney's Epcot Center, Orlando, Florida, January 2008:

Bruce and I decided to take a “ride” on the Mission to Mars attraction at the Epcot center. Bruce thought it would be “fun” and argued “even little kids are going on it.” I can’t imagine why I decided to go on this ride because I get car sick just being a PASSENGER in a car. There were even warnings along the way: “Not for people prone to motion sickness.” BUT, every one was doing it so it couldn’t be THAT bad. So, in spite of my bad feelings about participating, we got in line.

There was no time to prepare for this experience. The line moved fast and before I knew it, it was our turn to enter the “space craft” and get strapped into our seats. We were given instructions for the “journey“ one of which was “do not close your eyes because it will only make things worse.”

The attendants closed the space shuttle doors, and our seats tilted so we were lying on our backs looking up at the sky. The countdown began. At liftoff the pressure or G-forces pushing against me were so forceful, I felt my lips being pushed into my ears. I thought I would vomit. I thought I would die. I wished I would die.

When we had reached “orbit” the G-forces stopped, but then we were “boosted” through space at a rapid speed that pushed my body forward and I felt my ears pushing into my lips! I thought I would vomit. I thought I would die. I wished I would die.

To make matters worse we were pushed off course and the capsule began spinning out of control. I thought surely I would die from the spinning. In a last ditch effort to keep from loosing my lunch, I gave up on the instructions, closed my eyes, and hung on.

Finally, the capsule “landed” on Mars. The engines were shut down. It was quiet but I did not feel quiet. I hadn’t died. My stomach continued to tumble, my brain was scrambled, and my body was limp from the strain.

The attendants opened the capsule door and I stumbled to the nearest bench to regain my ability to walk. Then, I had to go to the car and lie down until I could function normally again.

In reflecting on this experience I’ve decided that life is sometimes like this. Sometimes we are thrown into the turbulence without warning. The time for preparation has past, so hopefully before this time, we’ve had time to train, been through flight simulation experiences, so we are ready for them. To do this, maybe we’ve decided how we’re going to respond under certain circumstances and addressed the issue of peer pressure to do something we know we should not do.

When it comes time for “liftoff” the forces against us can be tremendous. Elder Richard G. Scott has said, “Don’t look for a life virtually free from discomfort, pain, pressure, challenge, or grief, for those are the tools a loving Father uses to stimulate our personal growth and understanding. As the scriptures repeatedly affirm, you will be helped as you exercise faith in Jesus Christ. That faith is demonstrated by a willingness to trust His promises given through His prophets and in His scriptures” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1994, 8; or Ensign, May 1994, 8).

Sometimes these experiences might be things we bring on ourselves through bad choices. Elder Richard G. Scott said, “I know that every difficulty we face in life, even those that come from our own negligence or even transgression, can be turned by the Lord into growth experiences, a virtual ladder upward. I certainly do not recommend transgression as a path to growth. It is painful, difficult, and so totally unnecessary. It is far wiser and so much easier to move forward in righteousness. But through proper repentance, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and obedience to His commandments, even the disappointment that comes from transgression can be converted into a return to happiness” (Marriage and Family Relations: Participant’s Study Guide, 23).

During these times, we might even feel sick, think we might die, wish we would die. It is better to give up on what the world is telling us, close our eyes, and go forward with faith. “The Lord is intent on your personal growth and development. That progress is accelerated when you willingly allow Him to lead you through every growth experience you encounter, whether initially it be to your individual liking or not” (Marriage and Family Relations: Participant’s Study Guide, 22).

At the end of the “experience” we may need some time to regroup, recharge, heal, renew, strengthen and fortify ourselves for the next “ride.” President Gordon B. Hinckley said, “Understand that you are being chased. Satan is chasing after you, and you had better run as fast as ever you can” (BYU Magazine, Winter 2008, 23).

While it was close, I did not vomit, I did not die. I am still very much alive. May we hang on with faith in Jesus Christ through the trials of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment