Friday, October 30, 2009

Stay-At-Home Mom

Marina, California, 1978:

The cost of living was quickly escalating. Interest rates on home mortgages were about 9% and other small loans at 14-16-18%. It was becoming increasingly harder to "make ends meet." I watched as many women (mothers and wives) returned to the work forces in order to help their income. I knew that was not the answer for my family and me.

I pondered about how I could help our finances without going to work outside the home, and thought that instead of paying for child care, transportation, taxes, etc., I could concentrate all my efforts at home to SAVE $200 per month, rather than that be my net check.

I found I could cut costs in the following areas:

(1) Clothing: We utilized hand-me-downs from friends and I sewed what I could. All we needed to purchase was socks, underwear, and shoes.

(2) We sold both cars (they were dead anyway), purchased a bus pass and saved the costs of gasoline, insurance, car repairs, etc.

(3) I made food from scratch rather than purchase expensive mixes. We even purchased whole chickens and cut them up rather than pay for more expensive parts.

(4) We made homemade play dough, finger paint, and even made a "hair mannequin" when Amy wanted to play beauty shop.

(5) We bartered for services giving our time, talents, or even homemade jam in exchange for something we needed.

(6) We practiced "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

Was it worth it? Every minute of it. I am so proud of the people my children are today. Was it because I was a stay-at-home mom? I can't take much credit for the great people they are. I just know if they needed me, I was at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment