Monday, November 30, 2009

Protection in the Desert







San Jose to Utah to Southern California, July 1987:

Tim, Amy, and I drove to Utah to deliver Tim at BYU Swim Camp. While there, we visited with Brenda Kent and Holly Hart and their kids.

After our week in Utah we headed for Southern California. We stopped in Cedar City, Utah, for gasoline, and the attendant noticed my tires were really low. On closer inspection, he found a cut in one of my tires! Another tire was very bald, so I purchased two new tires.

As we were driving across the desert to Las Vegas, the red light indicator came on indicating the car was over-heating. I stopped in Las Vegas for gas and had the attendant check the radiator. The whole thing bubbled hot, steamy water all over the station!

The attendant then babbled something about a cracked block and pointed to what he said was oil in the carburator. I could see dollar signs lighting up in his eyes and decided THAT station would not fix my car.

I got on the phone (a pay phone!) and started calling radiator shops. It was 4:30 on a Saturday afternoon. No one wanted to look at my radiator!

Finally, I found an old man on the outskirts of town who said he would check it out. I limped the car to his shop and we left the car in his care. It was so hot, it had to have been 115 degrees outside. Tim, Amy, and I melted from the heat. I looked up and down the road for a grocery store, fast-food chain, any place to get out of the heat. The only respite I could find was an ice company across the street. We purchased a bag of ice for one dollar, walked across another street to a trailer park with one scrawny tree, and sat in our postage stamp spot of shade. We crunched on ice and read for a while.

Two hours later, we paid the man $85 for cleaning and patching the radiator. Then, we set off again for Newport Beach, and finally arrived about 1:00 AM.

It was a long journey, but I really felt the hand of the Lord, guiding us and inspiring us to take care of problems while we were in a city, rather than break down in the middle of the desert with no food, no water, no phone, and no help. It could have been devastating, but the Lord watched out for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment