Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Tim Lost in Salinas

Marina, California, 1976:

When Tim was 4, and Amy 2, I was the ward Primary President. As part of my duties, I was also Chairman of the Cub Scout Pack Committee. In preparation for a pack meeting, I needed to drive to Salinas (about 10 miles east) to purchase cub scout achievement awards.

We had other errands to run while in Salinas, so Tom and I piled the kids in the back seat of our tiny Honda Civic (hatchback). We drove to the scout office. Tim wanted to stay in the car and sleep, but he wanted us to wake him up when we got to the grocery store. We consented, so he climbed into the hatchback part and stretched out pulling a blanket over his head. This was in the day (I know, so hard to believe we were in the dark ages with no seat belts, and no child safety seats!)

Tom, Amy, and I went into the scout office. purchased the awards, and went back to the car. Amy climbed in the back seat.

Tom and I got in the front seats and, as we began to drive away, Amy was very distressed. She said, "Where's Timmy?" I said, "He's in the back under the blanket. Don't bother him. He wants to sleep."

Amy was still distressed, "But I can't see him."

I soothed, "Don't worry, Amy. He's under the blanket.

Her tiny two-year old voice again said, "But I can't see him."

Tom and I figured we knew more than Amy, so we drove to the post office and then to the grocery store.

When we arrived at the store, Tom opened the hatchback, lifted the blanket, and . . . said, "He's not here!"

Amy was right! She knew her brother was missing. We wished we had listened to her!

We rushed back to the scout office and ran inside. He wasn't there! We scanned the neighborhood. There was a Masonic hall across the street with a "C" on the building. I looked at the glass front doors and spotted Tim standing inside holding a police officer's hand!

I walked up the steps opened the door and hugged Tim and explained that we thought Tim was asleep in the back of the car. The officer looked at our tiny Honda Civic and said skeptically, "You thought he was asleep in the back of the car." I said, "Yes!" Then, I took Tim by the hand and hurried out of the building, hoping I wasn't going to be arrested for child endangerment!

In explanation, Tim told us he'd thought the "C" meant cub scouts and he went looking for us there. He had walked in on a ladies luncheon. They were sure they had an abandoned child on their hands, so they called the police.

The moral to the story: Listen when your children they tell you something is wrong. They may be right!

No comments:

Post a Comment