Sunday, November 1, 2009

Blessings from Obedience

Seaside, California, about 1974:


I had been taught the principle of paying tithing and believed I needed to do it. When it came to action, however, my faith was lacking. I knew how much money we had coming in and how much was needed to pay our bills. I wanted to be obedient and pay my tithing. Since I knew the tithing check would bounce, I would write the check, but then not turn it in to the bishopric.



After several checks had accumulated on our desk, Tom and I decided to test our faith and turn them in. Two immediate blessings came our way. (1) Tom had applied to be a substitute teacher at the public schools. The district called him to work. (2) Our station wagon had been parked in front of our house and an errant driver plowed into the rear end of it, crushing the back, but it was still operable. The driver's insurance company sent us a check for the damage (which we could keep or use to fix the car). It was more than the amount of our accumulated tithing checks.



Sometimes we're taught a principle that we want to believe, but have trouble applying it in our lives. In those cases, we need to take the first step and obey it. Heavenly Father knows our needs and is waiting to assist us.

No comments:

Post a Comment