Wednesday, November 11, 2009

On Gift Giving: Amy's Fifth Birthday

Amy was going to have a party for her 5th birthday. We didn't have parties for every birthday. Similar to when I was growing up, the children had a party when they turned 5 because they started school, 8 when they could be baptized, and 12 when they got the priesthood. It worked well for my parents' large family, and since times were tight, we decided to continue the tradition.

So in anticipation for Amy's first party we set about preparing in a way that would not tax our slim budget. Amy and I made invitations and delivered them. Then we needed party favors to give out to the guests, so we made homemade play dough in bright colors and put the globs in Cool Whip containers. We made, sewing cards by pasting a page from a coloring book to the cardboard from the back of a cereal box, then punching holes around the image. For the sewing thread, we cut a length of yarn and wrapped the ends with tape.

Amy was so excited about these things she made for her friends, that she totally forgot they were going to give her presents. I was pleased to see her unselfishness.

In the end, it's not about us. It's all about what we do for others. Someone once said, "The things you do for yourself are gone when you are gone, but the things that you do for others remain as your legacy."

1 comment:

  1. I still forget I'm getting gifts for my birthday! Maybe because I'm so selfless :)!! Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete