Friday, November 13, 2009

Flights of Fantasy

Marina, California, about 1983:

We took the family to an open house at Ft. Ord. We got to go inside helicopters, trucks, and tanks, and saw many of the neat things the army does.

As we stood in the middle of this big paved area, a helicopter flew overhead and hovered. The rotors pushed the air, woomph, woomph, blowing our hair, throwing sand in our eyes, but as we squinted up at the copter, the doors opened, ropes were lowered, and army men came sliding down the ropes, so fast they were almost on top of each other! It was impressive, very impressive.

I looked over at Billy. His eyes were glazed in I awe of the whole scene. Oh no, I thought! What have I done! That was such an exciting thing, THAT was going to be HIS dream, to rappel down a rope from a hovering helicopter!

I was sure we had made history that day - We were destined to have Billy join the army. That would be the only thing he would want to do with his life. Don't get me wrong. If my sons chose to serve their country, I would be proud, but I would fear for their lives.

Later, I would wonder why Billy would want to jump off the roof of the house onto the trampoline, or off a railroad trestle into a river far below.

Now, that I remember the day at Ft. Ord, I don't have to wonder any more. It's all my fault!

Lesson Learned: Be careful what you expose your children to. It may change their lives.

1 comment:

  1. Finally proof it's not my fault. Thanks Mom. Sue thanks you too. I remember this day like it was yesterday.

    ReplyDelete