Thursday, November 19, 2009

Tofu Quiche

San Jose, California, about 1986:

I loved to watch cooking shows on the television: Yan Can Cook, Laurels' Kitchen, etc. I was so impressed with the healthy recipes on Laurel's Kitchen that I purchased her cookbook and set to work recreating these dishes for my family. Laurel was big into tofu. Back then, I could not purchase tofu in the grocery store, but had to go to the Chinatown part of the city to get it. Also, it was not as tasty as the tofu we have today.

I decided to make a Tofu Quiche from Laurel's book. Excitedly, I followed the recipe with precision. It was going to be great. Bear in mind, we'd never eaten quiche before, but we were willing to give it a try.

When the quiche was done, I pulled it from the oven, called the family to dinner, and we sat down at the table to eat. Tom was going to be late, so we started without him.

I served up a slice to each family member, we said a prayer, and plunged into our pie. It was TERRIBLE! YUCK! It was so bad, I couldn't eat it. If I wasn't willing to eat it, I couldn't make my family do it.

I decided we needed to forget the quiche. We left it on the table, and piled into the car and went to McDonalds for dinner. THAT was much tastier.

Tom returned from home, spotted the quiche, and dug in. He LOVED it! I couldn't believe it. It just goes to show, one man's cottage may be another man's castle.

1 comment:

  1. I remeber this like it was yesterday. I bring it up everytime Sue and I try something new and it doesn't work out. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete