Thursday, November 12, 2009

Vegetable Struggles

Marina, California, January 1977:

Oh the struggle of vegetables! I was putting my foot down about the children eating their vegetables. (I know, I know, times are different now, but this was pretty much how children were raised back then. I should have had Amy teaching me how to help my children to eat healthy).

Amy, at age 3, was sweeter than sweet. One time, we were having split pea soup. Amy ate a spoonful. When I asked if it was good, she shook her head "yes," all the time smiling with the food still in her mouth, then immediately vomited! How could I make a child eat something that made them vomit?

In contrast, Tim would make a big, noisy production of the whole thing until we made him go to bed. The rule was: They ate what was on their plate or they were sent to bed - that is, of course, unless they threw up! (Those were the days . . . I'm sorry!)

Billy was happy to try anything, and he loved all of it . . . even tomatoes!

Sarah had eating issues. I can now see why. She and I could not agree on what she should eat. When we were visiting in Southern California, my mother witnessed this struggle and advised me to leave Sarah alone about it. Wise advice which I took. Our home was much more pleasant at meal time after that.

Is there a moral to this story? Do your best and let God take care of the rest.

1 comment: